I forgot about a server I’m using to host a friend’s project until today, and now I can’t get Ubuntu (18.10) to upgrade to a newer, supported, version. The usual upgrade tool won’t work because a) the release isn’t supported any more – although I can hack around that sorta easily enough, and b) there are also a couple of package updates pending… but I can’t install those updates (easily) because the release isn’t supported any more and the sources don’t exist now. I could try editing sources.list, and using apt dist-upgrade, but that path usually leads to a lot of pain.

While I’m sure my friend won’t mind they’re running an out of date OS, as long as it’s running fine – I do mind! But it doesn’t look like I’m going to get it sorted tonight 😑

Today’s one of those days where I’m really struggling to concentrate and focus on anything at all. Which is slightly bothersome, as I’m working from home today to “concentrate” on doing some online training I’ve struggled to find peace to do in the office.

What I mean about that last Inoreader thing:

When I first setup the OPML subscription I had to map it to a folder created in Inoreader. All feeds were dumped into this folder as the feature didn’t support the category information in my OPML file.

The number of sources in my OPML file was starting to get unwieldy in just a single folder, so I had begun the process of reorganising into topic-based folders. The subscription management preference UI in Inoreader is a bit clunky, so this was slow going.

Anyway, I more or less finished, and went for lunch. When I came back, there were a whole lot of new folders showing in the sidebar. I figured there was maybe some old organisational data kicking around (tags and folders seem to be  more or less synonymous in the app, and a feed can belong to multiple), so started moving things around again and deleting the excess folders. It wasn’t until  I’d deleted a couple that I realised they matched the category names in my OPML file, and put two and two together.

To tidy everything back up again, I deleted all subscriptions, folders, and tags, before re-syncing with the OPML file. Everything was automatically nicely organised, and hopefully will remain so 😃 The only dowside was losing the read status of the feeds, but a quick “Mark All as Read” sorted that out.

I was in the middle of reorganising my feeds in Inoreader, when they appear to have rolled out an update to the OPML Subscription functionality, completely throwing things off and causing me to need to start all over again.

TIL it’s possible to put certain domains on an allow-list in Firefox, which stops them from being automatically deleted when the browser is closed (if you have that option turned on). Handy if you have some sites where you don’t mind a session persisting, but want the default for all other cookies to be “only persist as long as the browser session.”

screenshot of Firefox Cookies and Site Data options, with a callout pointing to 'Manage Permissions'

I’m copying some virtual servers around our ESXi hosts, using ovftool, and ran into a problem with one of them throwing Error: Fault cause: vim.fault.FileNotFound.

This support thread gave me a clue to the eventual solution. Adding the --noImageFiles didn’t fix the problem for me, but going into the VM properties and disconnecting the virtual disc drive from the .iso file it was attached to did get rid of the error and let me kick-off the transfer.