A few summary thoughts, now I’ve managed to play Red Dead Redemption 2 for a few hours
- The visuals are stunning, in a grim and gritty, “totally the opposite of Odyssey” kind of way.
- The story is compelling, so far, and as it’s mostly told through brief interactions with other characters, leaves me wanting more.
- It very much feels like a “slow burn” kind of game. Nothing yet has happened at any sort of pace. For the most part, this is great. But it gets annoying when other characters are trying to hurry you along but Arthur Morgan moves and performs actions with the speed of a tranquillised sloth…
- The controls are very different to every other game I’ve played this year, so I find myself pressing the wrong button constantly.
- Some mechanics in the game seem unnecessarily finicky and/or just plain unnecessary.
- The skinning animation is unnecessarily gratuitous.